Thursday, February 23, 2012



I'm back in London.

My time in LA was genuinely enjoyable. Being in LA is always a state of reevaluation, in the best way possible. It shows me how far I've come and how much farther I'd like to go. So while I attained a six-day-a-week job, at which I loved my co-workers and catered to LA's clientele of film stars and the city's movers and shakers (or the most exciting personally: Bobby Womack!), I still decided to catch a plane. LA, for once, gave me that wistful feeling - driving beneath palm trees, 80 degrees in the winter, knowing you're somewhere you won't be again for a while. I wanted to take everything and everyone with me. That was surely a first.

My flight over had me buzzing nervously, albeit excitedly. London from a new angle. I'm on my own, no piggyback. My latest adventure is only just beginning and things feel bizarrely, but I suppose unsurprisingly, new. In a way, I'm starting all over again. Old friends, new friends, same city, new surroundings. But as I settle in, I'm damn well sure that you can have your cake and eat it too. You can do it all, and it all can work. I'm exhausted but in the best way, how George Bernard Shaw meant:

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."




I enjoy the life I've created for myself, and can't help but feel that every move I make is necessary. I'm proud of all that I've done so far and look forward to the excellent times that lie ahead.  There's a change in my character and it feels good. I seem to go quiet in LA, emerge with a level head and a bit of a filter, then proceed head first into what lies ahead. Some of it I know well, some is brand new, but I know for certain that returning to London was a good choice. Tomorrow is payday on two continents, the sun is shining, I'm busy, having fun, and earning it. I can't even predict what may follow, but I wouldn't bet on it being uneventful...




Also: For those in LA or surrounding areas, I urge you to go to the Grammy Museum. I dragged a friend there (a music lover as well, he was willing) out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised! Some of it hardly provokes your full attention, but its incredibly interactive (a guitar with which you can explore various effects and pedals, a mixing room in which you personally mix tracks, touch screens of the history of many sub-genres) and thoroughly accurate. Additionally, the exhibitions on George Harrison and James Brown are both career-spanning and wondrously compiled. The James Brown exhibition includes this video above a dance floor, which changes color in accordance to your footwork. I couldn't walk past it without going back for another stomp! The George Harrison exhibition, to coincide with the Martin Scorsese film and coffee table book, takes up an entire floor - with a George Harrison waterfall, large scale photos, and lots of memorabilia. His outfits, passports, childhood notebooks, and other various bits are littered throughout. It was me at thirteen's idea of heaven. The James Brown exhibition seems to have concluded, but the George Harrison exhibition is running until March 25. When I went, I was also evacuated for twenty minutes for what turned out to be a small fire, but for a second, I was pretty sure it was because I snapped photos of James Brown's wallet from the 70s just moments prior! The museum itself is inside the new LA Live centre near the Staples Center. The entire centre provides a fun day out - a good idea for a date. There's also an ice cream shop, which I surely indulged in, only adding to the day's pleasures!



The photo of the JB dance floor is taken from the Grammy Museum website, but not even their photo matches its brilliance.